SOSNA Office Hours
1901 Christian Street
for an appointment.
Pedestrian & Traffic Safety
Painting the Intersection Mural
Safety Committee Pedestrian & Traffic Safety Projects
- Report nuisance issues via Philly 311 or the Philadelphia Streets Department website.
Pedestrian Advisory Committee: In 2010 a grant allowed for the creation and funding of the SOSNA Pedestrian Advisory Committee (PedAC), which implemented two projects.
- LIGHTS ON SWCC - a CFL giveaway program to encourage stoop lighting.
- INTERSECTION MURAL - a community paint day at the Universal Institute Charter School at which neighbors and students raised awareness about pedestrian and bicycle safety - check out the great video!
- BETTER BLOCKS PHILLY was a part of Design Philadelphia and was a demonstration project to show the neighborhood that streets are not only for cars, but that everyone's quality of life improves when streets are 'complete streets' shared by cars, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
- Improve safety at dangerous intersections - there are many accidents caused by blind turns off smaller neighborhood streets (Kater, Kimball, Pemberton) into ongoing traffic.
The Philadelphia City Planning Commission (PCPC) and Philadelphia Department of Health and Human Services are preparing a Pedestrian and Bicycle Plan for the City of Philadelphia. Improving pedestrian and bicycle safety and mobility is an important element of the City's ongoing efforts to become more sustainable.
To report traffic safety issues such as missing stop signs or mal-functioning traffic signals, call 311.